Anti-Terror Operation in Kulgam Continues for Seventh Consecutive Day

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

SRINAGAR: The anti-terror operation in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kulgam district entered its seventh day on Thursday, making it the longest such operation in the Valley so far this year. Security forces continue to engage militants hiding in a dense forested area, officials said.

Lt Gen Pratik Sharma, Northern Army Commander, reviewed the prevailing security situation and the counter-terrorism grid in South Kashmir. He was also briefed on the ongoing operation in Kulgam.

“The operation is ongoing and has now entered its seventh day,” officials confirmed, adding that intermittent gunfire was reported Thursday morning.

Security forces are deploying all available resources — including drones and helicopters — to locate the militants in the challenging terrain of the forest.

So far, two terrorists have been killed, while at least two security personnel have sustained injuries in the encounter. The operation began last Friday after security agencies launched a cordon-and-search operation in the Akhal forest area, acting on specific intelligence inputs about terrorist presence.

An initial exchange of fire occurred on Friday evening, after which the operation was paused for the night. However, the area was tightly cordoned off and additional forces were deployed. Firing resumed on Saturday, leading to the elimination of two militants, officials said.

The identities and group affiliations of the slain terrorists are yet to be determined.

Lt Gen Sharma commended the troops for their determination and resilience, reaffirming the Indian Army’s unwavering commitment to maintaining peace and security in the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More