Pakistan lodges complaint with ICC over Fakhar Zaman’s controversial dismissal

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

New Delhi: Pakistan’s team management has filed a complaint with the International Cricket Council (ICC) over a caught-behind decision involving Fakhar Zaman in Sunday’s Asia Cup Super Four clash against India in Dubai, according to reports.

Sri Lankan umpire Ruchira Palliyaguruge gave Zaman out, caught behind by Sanju Samson for 15, despite replays failing to show conclusive evidence of a clean catch. On-field umpire Gazi Sohel referred the decision to the TV umpire, who ruled the dismissal valid.

From one angle, it appeared the ball may have bounced before hitting Samson’s glove, but the TV umpire judged that the wicketkeeper’s fingers were under the ball. Zaman expressed his frustration briefly before walking off.

“Pakistan team manager Naveed Cheema approached match referee Andy Pycroft with the complaint, but was told it was outside his jurisdiction. He subsequently sent an email to the ICC raising concerns about the umpire,” sources told Telecomasia.net.

After the match, Pakistan captain Salman Ali Agha also questioned the decision, saying, “I don’t know about the decision. Umpires can make mistakes, and I have no problem with that. But it does look like it bounced before reaching the keeper. If Fakhar had batted through the powerplay, we probably could have scored 190.”

This incident adds to the ongoing tension in the India-Pakistan rivalry, which has already seen Indian players refuse to shake hands with Pakistan in both matches. Pakistan had earlier demanded the removal of Pycroft following a no-handshake controversy after the first match.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More