London Mayor Sadiq Khan condemns Trump over racist, sexist, and Islamophobic remarks

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

London: London Mayor Sadiq Khan on Wednesday hit back at US President Donald Trump’s criticism of the UK capital at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), describing him as “racist, sexist and Islamophobic.”

Khan, who had faced similar attacks from Trump during the President’s UK State Visit last week, was responding to Trump’s UNGA speech in New York on Tuesday, where the US President labeled London as having a “terrible, terrible mayor” and suggested the city was moving toward “Sharia law.”

“I think President Trump has shown he is racist, sexist, misogynistic, and Islamophobic,” Khan told reporters during a London bus tour when asked for his reaction.

He added, “People are wondering why this Muslim mayor, leading a liberal, multicultural, progressive, and successful city, seems to live rent-free in Donald Trump’s head. I’m just thankful that record numbers of Americans are visiting London — more than ever before. There must be a reason for that.”

Referring to the city he governs, Khan reiterated, “London is the greatest city in the world, and long may that continue.”

Trump’s latest attack on Khan came after his comments on Air Force One, returning to Washington from the UK following the State Visit hosted by King Charles III.

“I didn’t want him there. I asked that he not be there. I think the Mayor of London, Khan, is among the worst mayors in the world, and we have some bad ones. I think he’s done a terrible job,” Trump told reporters, referring to Khan’s absence at the State Banquet at Windsor Castle.

The feud follows Khan’s earlier accusation that Trump was promoting “divisive, far-right politics” ahead of the State Visit. Their highly public clashes trace back to a terrorist attack on London Bridge in June 2017.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More