Leh Town Curfew Eased for 4 Hours; Officials Report Peaceful Situation

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

Leh: Curfew Relaxed in Phases as Situation Remains Peaceful

For the first time since a curfew was imposed three days ago in violence-hit Leh town, restrictions were eased on Saturday afternoon in a phased manner, providing relief to residents who queued outside shops selling essential items.

Police and paramilitary forces had intensified patrolling and checking since early morning to maintain law and order, following the detention of climate activist Sonam Wangchuk under the National Security Act (NSA) the previous day. Officials reported that no untoward incident occurred during the relaxation period.

Ladakh Director General of Police S D Singh Jamwal said the curfew was lifted for a total of four hours. “Curfew has been relaxed for two hours from 1 PM to 3 PM in the old city areas, followed by another two-hour relaxation in the new areas from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM,” he told reporters.

The curfew was initially imposed on Wednesday evening after widespread violence during a shutdown called by the Leh Apex Body (LAB) demanding talks with the Centre on statehood and extension of the Sixth Schedule to Ladakh. The unrest resulted in four deaths and around 90 injuries.

A high-level security review chaired by Lieutenant Governor Kavinder Gupta at Raj Bhavan preceded the easing of restrictions. Police used public address systems to announce the curfew relaxation, after which shops selling essentials opened to a heavy rush of people. Residents also queued outside ATMs, while police and CRPF personnel maintained vigilance. The relaxation period passed peacefully in the old city areas.

Jamwal said Wangchuk is being investigated for alleged links with Pakistan, following last month’s arrest of a Pakistani intelligence operative who reportedly sent videos of Wangchuk’s protests across the border. The DGP described Wangchuk as the “main ringleader” behind Wednesday’s violence.

Regarding the funerals of the four individuals killed, Jamwal said all necessary arrangements have been made to allow relatives to attend without inconvenience. “The job of the police is to maintain law and order, and we are focused on that,” he added.

The administration, in a statement late Friday night, justified Wangchuk’s detention, citing a series of alleged provocative speeches and videos referencing the Nepal agitation and Arab Spring, which they claim incited the violence. Authorities said his detention was necessary to restore normalcy in Leh and prevent further acts prejudicial to public order.

Officials noted that patrolling and checking in sensitive areas have been intensified, with raids underway to apprehend absconding rioters, including a councillor accused of instigating the violence. More than 50 people were detained following the clashes, while prohibitory orders banning assemblies of five or more remain in effect in other major towns, including Kargil.

The Directorate of Information and Public Relations (DIPR), Ladakh, stated that Wangchuk has repeatedly engaged in activities detrimental to the state’s security and public peace. Despite government efforts to hold dialogue through the High-Powered Committee (HPC), Wangchuk continued a hunger strike in Leh from September 10.

“His provocative speeches, references to Nepal agitations, the Arab Spring, and misleading videos led to the violent protests of September 24, where institutions, buildings, and vehicles were burned, and police personnel were attacked, resulting in the deaths of four individuals,” the statement said.

The administration added that the episode could have been avoided if Wangchuk had suspended his hunger strike once dialogue with the government resumed on the same agenda. Based on specific inputs, the government decided to detain him under the NSA and transfer him to Jodhpur prison in Rajasthan to restore normalcy in Leh.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More