Leh: Tourists Face Uncertainty as Curfew Hits the Region
What was meant to be a week-long holiday exploring Ladakh’s breathtaking landscapes has turned into days of uncertainty for many tourists following a curfew imposed in Leh on Wednesday.
Amanda V. Varvocks, an Australian visitor who arrived in the town on Thursday, said she was confined to her hotel and expressed frustration over the “lack of information” from authorities.
Leh witnessed violent protests on Wednesday during a shutdown called by the youth wing of the Leh Apex Body (LAB), demanding progress in talks between the central government and Ladakh representatives on statehood and the extension of the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution to the region. Four people were killed and many others injured as police and paramilitary forces struggled to control crowds engaged in arson and stone-pelting, targeting the hill council headquarters and a BJP office.
“This is nothing short of a nightmare. We had planned visits across the region, but the administration is unresponsive. We paid for our trip to Pangong Lake and even received a permit, but they are not allowing us, citing a missing signature,” said Varvocks, also known as Mandy.
Accompanied by Indian citizen Anuj Handoo, who works in a private bank in Delhi-NCR, she highlighted the frustration caused by the lack of clear communication and appealed to the government for clarification so tourists could decide whether to continue or cut short their visit.
“The problem is confined to the town where we are staying. Other places seem unaffected, but we are left without any guidance,” Varvocks added.
She said visiting Ladakh had been a long-cherished dream. “The wish was fulfilled, but I would not have imagined it this way.” She also noted that hotel staff were concerned for guests as essential supplies dwindled amid the security lockdown.
Handoo said they had been trying for two days to get the required official signature on the Pangong Lake permit but were unable to do so due to the curfew. “We are returning on October 2 and hope the government appoints a nodal officer to facilitate tourist movement,” he said, adding that some foreign tourists had managed to leave for the lake, while most remained confined to their hotels.
In a related development, the Ladakh administration has allowed candidates appearing for the civil judge (junior division) examination conducted by the J&K Public Service Commission to travel using their admit cards as curfew passes. An official announcement stated, “Candidates from Leh and Kargil will be permitted to travel to Srinagar or Jammu on September 28 for the examination, with their admit cards serving as curfew passes for their to-and-fro movement.”








