Srinagar: National Conference MP Ruhullah Mehdi on Saturday blamed the Centre for the escalating situation in Ladakh, asserting that recent violence is being exploited to tarnish the image of its people.
“For the past five years, the people of Ladakh have peacefully demanded statehood and constitutional safeguards under the Sixth Schedule, yet their appeals have been ignored. The main responsibility lies with those in Delhi who make decisions without listening to the people,” Mehdi said.
Speaking to reporters at Sonamarg in Ganderbal district, the Srinagar MP said the violent incidents in Leh were being used to defame the movement in Ladakh.
Four people were killed and around 90 injured on Wednesday when violent protests erupted during a shutdown called by the Leh Apex Body, aimed at pressuring the Centre to expedite talks on statehood and Sixth Schedule protections for Ladakh.
“The people of Ladakh should have been engaged meaningfully over the past five years, and their demands addressed. Now, this unfortunate episode in Leh is being misused to brand them as anti-nationals, Chinese agents, or ISI operatives,” he added.
Mehdi urged Ladakhis to continue their struggle peacefully.
“The people of Jammu and Kashmir stand with them in their peaceful movement. Whether they wish to rejoin J&K, seek Sixth Schedule protections, or pursue statehood, we support them,” he said.
Highlighting that Ladakh’s struggle reflects the broader aspirations of J&K residents, the MP stressed that the demand for statehood restoration for Jammu and Kashmir and reinstatement of Article 370 remains alive.
“Sometimes people feel despair because Delhi disregards their aspirations. But this does not mean they have abandoned their rightful claims,” he said, urging the Centre to listen to genuine, peaceful democratic demands.
“A vacuum should not be created that harms both the people and the nation. The Centre should restore the status and protections that Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh once enjoyed under Article 370,” he added.
Mehdi also welcomed Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s statement about keeping the BJP out of power in J&K.
“The people voted in last year’s assembly elections to prevent the BJP from coming to power. We sought their mandate for this reason, and it is our responsibility to honor that promise,” he said.








