Tel Aviv,: On the eve of his meeting with US President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israel is working with Washington on a new ceasefire plan, though details remain under discussion.
Netanyahu faces mounting international pressure to halt the war, as Gaza’s Health Ministry reported the Palestinian death toll has risen to over 66,000 since the conflict began.
Speaking on Fox News, Netanyahu said: “It’s not finalized yet, but we’re working with President Trump’s team, actually as we speak, and I hope we can make it work.”
According to Arab officials briefed on the talks, Trump’s 21-point proposal calls for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages within 48 hours, and a phased Israeli withdrawal from Gaza. The officials requested anonymity as the plan has not been formally announced.
Netanyahu, however, reiterated his vow to destroy Hamas, which launched the October 7, 2023 attack that triggered the war. He suggested Hamas fighters could leave Gaza if they release the hostages and agree to end hostilities.
US and international pressure
While Trump has largely backed Israel, he has shown signs of frustration, especially after Israel struck Hamas’ political offices in Doha earlier this month. Ceasefire negotiations have since stalled despite growing global protests and calls for recognition of a Palestinian state.
European nations are considering sanctions, and campaigns for cultural and sporting boycotts of Israel are gaining momentum. At the UN General Assembly on Friday, Netanyahu told world leaders that Israel “must finish the job” against Hamas, noting that 48 hostages remain in captivity, about 20 of whom are believed alive.
Hamas response
A Hamas official confirmed the group had been briefed on Trump’s plan but said it has yet to receive an official proposal from mediators in Egypt and Qatar. Hamas indicated it is open to studying any offer and has previously said it would release all hostages in exchange for a full Israeli withdrawal and an end to the war.
Fighting continues
Meanwhile, airstrikes and explosions shook Gaza overnight. At least 10 people were killed in strikes on homes in the Nuseirat refugee camp, local hospitals reported.
Gaza’s Health Ministry said Sunday that the conflict has left 66,005 dead and 168,162 wounded. The ministry does not separate civilians from militants in its figures but says women and children account for about half of the casualties.
The Israeli military said it targeted 140 Hamas positions in the past 24 hours, including a 16-story tower in Gaza City that it claimed housed Hamas infrastructure. Residents had been warned to evacuate, and no casualties were reported.
Israel’s campaign has devastated Gaza, displacing nearly 90% of its population and pushing the territory toward famine, according to humanitarian agencies.
In the West Bank, violence also flared Sunday. An Israeli soldier died from wounds sustained in a recent attack near Nablus. Security forces shot dead the alleged assailant, an incident praised by Hamas.








