Ashwin makes history as the first Indian to feature in the Big Bash League

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

Former India all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin has made history by signing with Sydney Thunder, becoming the first male Indian cricketer to join Australia’s Big Bash League (BBL).

The move comes after Ashwin retired from international cricket in December and concluded his Indian Premier League career last month, freeing him from the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s restrictions that previously barred male players from participating in overseas T20 leagues.

While Indian women have competed in the BBL Women’s edition, no male player had ever joined the Australian T20 competition, making 39-year-old Ashwin’s signing a landmark moment.

“The Thunder Nation will welcome the biggest overseas signing since the League’s inception, with Ashwin set to become the first male player to represent India in a BBL club,” Sydney Thunder said in a statement. “He will join the lineup in early January, boosting the club’s push for back-to-back BBL Finals.”

Ashwin, however, will not be available at the start of the BBL season in December, as he is committed to the International League T20 tournament in the United Arab Emirates, running from December 2 to January 4.

“Thunder were clear about my role and confident enough to back me. My discussions with the leadership were excellent, and we’re fully aligned,” Ashwin said. “I love the way Dave Warner plays the game, and it’s always better when your captain shares your mindset. I can’t wait to perform for the Thunder Nation.”

Ashwin retired from international cricket with 765 wickets across formats, including 537 in Tests. In the IPL, he ranks as the fifth-highest wicket-taker, claiming 187 wickets in 221 matches.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More