‘Better late than never’: J&K parties welcome bypolls for Budgam, Nagrota assembly seats

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir’s major political parties, including the ruling National Conference (NC) and the opposition BJP, on Monday welcomed the Election Commission of India’s announcement of bypolls for the Budgam and Nagrota assembly constituencies.

The by-elections for both seats will be held on November 11, with counting scheduled for November 14.

NC spokesperson Tanvir Sadiq said that though delayed, the ECI’s decision to conduct the bypolls was a positive step.
“We had been urging the Election Commission to hold by-elections ever since Chief Minister Omar Abdullah vacated the Budgam seat. Finally, the people of Budgam will have their representative in the Assembly,” Sadiq said.

He added that the party’s parliamentary board will finalize the candidates. “As of now, we plan to contest both seats,” he said.

The BJP and PDP also welcomed the announcement.
“We welcome the ECI’s decision as it strengthens the democratic process,” said BJP spokesperson Altaf Thakur.
On the delay in holding the bypolls, Thakur said, “The Election Commission is an autonomous institution. Only it can explain the reasons for the delay. Political parties must respect its decisions.”

He added that BJP leaders Sat Sharma and Ashok Koul have been called to Delhi to finalize the party’s strategy. “BJP is always prepared for elections. The names of our candidates will be clear in a day or two,” he said.

PDP spokesperson Mohit Bhan, while welcoming the announcement, said the absence of an elected representative had hampered Budgam’s development.
“Better late than never. People deserve a voice in the Assembly, especially on issues of development,” he said.

Bhan said the party’s political affairs committee will decide whether to contest both seats. “We performed well in Budgam last time and will contest from there. A decision on Nagrota will be taken later,” he added.

Both Budgam and Nagrota seats have been vacant since October 2024.
Budgam became vacant on October 21, 2024, after Chief Minister Omar Abdullah retained his Ganderbal seat, while Nagrota fell vacant on October 31, 2024, following the death of BJP MLA Devender Singh Rana.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More