Kulgam Anti-Terror Operation Continues for 8th Consecutive Day

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

SRINAGAR: One of the longest anti-terror operations in Jammu and Kashmir continued for the eighth consecutive day on Friday, as security forces engaged in an ongoing gunfight with terrorists hiding in the dense forests of Kulgam district, officials said.

Senior police and Army officials are monitoring the operation around the clock. On Thursday, Jammu and Kashmir Police chief Nalin Prabhat visited the site to assess the situation. Army’s Northern Commander, Lt Gen Pratik Sharma, also reviewed the counter-terrorism grid in South Kashmir and received a briefing on the ongoing encounter.

“The operation has entered its eighth day and remains active,” an official said, noting that intermittent exchanges of fire are still taking place.

To track the militants in the challenging forest terrain, drones and helicopters have been deployed, and para commandos are assisting in the operation. So far, seven security personnel have sustained injuries.

The encounter began last Friday after security forces launched a cordon-and-search operation in the Akhal forest area of Kulgam, acting on specific intelligence inputs. After an initial exchange of fire that day, the operation was paused overnight, with the cordon reinforced and additional troops deployed.

Firing resumed on Saturday, resulting in the deaths of two terrorists. Their identities and affiliations are yet to be confirmed.

Officials said this is the longest anti-terror operation in the Kashmir Valley this year and among the lengthiest ever in Jammu and Kashmir.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More