Leh: Ladakh’s Tourism Hit Hard as Curfew Follows Recent Violence
Ladakh’s tourism sector, already struggling earlier this season, has suffered another setback with the imposition of a curfew in Leh following last week’s violent clashes.
Industry stakeholders said the sector was initially affected by widespread cancellations after the April 22 Pahalgam terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir, and the recent disturbances have further shaken travelers’ confidence.
An indefinite curfew was imposed in Leh town on September 24 after clashes erupted during a shutdown called by a constituent of the Leh Apex Body, which has been advocating for statehood and the extension of the Sixth Schedule to Ladakh. Four people were killed and over 150 injured in the violence.
Except for a brief four-hour relaxation on Saturday afternoon, Leh remained under strict curfew for the sixth consecutive day on Monday, with mobile internet services suspended. The restrictions have led to booking cancellations and created hardships for both tourists and local businesses.
“The cancellation of advance bookings has been continuing almost daily for the past week. There is also a shortage of essential supplies due to the town’s closure since last Wednesday,” said Naseeb Singh, a hotel manager. Singh, who has worked in Leh for nearly a decade, said he had never witnessed such a situation in the otherwise peaceful region.
Rigzin Dorjey, a local transporter, noted that the Pahalgam terror attack, which claimed 26 lives in April, had already severely impacted Ladakh’s tourism, even though the two are separate Union Territories. “The Pahalgam incident virtually paralyzed tourism here. We started receiving guests only a month after Operation Sindoor. Wednesday’s incident has hit us hard once again,” he said. Operation Sindoor was launched by the Indian armed forces on May 7 to target terror infrastructure in Pakistan in retaliation for the Pahalgam attack.
Another hotelier, requesting anonymity, echoed Dorjey’s concerns, saying, “Each day of uncertainty means lost income for thousands of families who depend on tourism. We are praying for a quick return to normalcy.”
Tourists stranded in the region reported being confined to their hotels, unable to access key attractions. Sheena, a visitor from Taiwan, said, “I was shocked to find everything closed. I couldn’t exchange currency or buy food. I had planned to visit Pangong Lake, but couldn’t get a permit.”
Arpana Dass, who arrived from Delhi on Sunday, expressed disappointment over closed markets and the suspension of mobile internet. “We could not go anywhere due to restrictions. Hopefully, things improve soon,” she said. Shruti, another tourist, added, “We came to experience Ladakh’s mountains, monasteries, and local traditions, but now we are stuck in our rooms. Everyone here is wishing for peace to return soon.”
A police official defended the curfew as necessary to prevent further disturbances, while expressing hope that it would end soon.








