Leh: Last Rites of Two Youths Held Amid Tight Security; Political Tensions Continue
The last rites of two of the four youths killed in the September 24 violence were conducted in curfew-bound Leh town on Sunday under tight security, with restrictions remaining in place, officials said.
“The situation remained largely normal, with no untoward incidents reported,” an official said, noting that mobile internet services in the town continued to be suspended. Prohibitory orders banning gatherings of five or more people also remained in force across major parts of the Union Territory, including Kargil.
Political voices continued to criticize the Centre’s handling of the situation. Former Congress president Rahul Gandhi condemned the detention of activist Sonam Wangchuk under the National Security Act (NSA) on Friday, alleging that Ladakh’s people, culture, and traditions were under attack by the BJP and RSS, and advocating for the region’s inclusion under the Sixth Schedule.
Curfew was imposed in Leh on Wednesday evening following violent protests during a shutdown called by the Leh Apex Body (LAB), which was demanding talks with the Centre on statehood and Sixth Schedule inclusion. The clashes left four people dead, scores injured, and more than 50 detained for rioting.
Two Congress councillors named in FIRs, Smanla Dorje Nurbo and Phutsog Stanzin Tsepak, surrendered to a local court on Saturday. Along with Ladakh Buddhist Association vice president Savin Rigzin and village numberdar Rigzin Dorjey, they were sent to police custody, while other youth leaders and students were remanded to judicial custody, according to Mohd Shafi Lassu, President of the Ladakh Bar Association, Leh.
Curfew was briefly relaxed for four hours on Saturday, but authorities decided against further easing to maintain law and order during the last rites. The funerals were conducted according to Ladakhi traditions amid tight security, with police, CRPF, and ITBP personnel deployed in the area.
The Bar Association has taken up the cases pro bono and is seeking the release of all arrested individuals. Lassu maintained that all detained, including the councillors, are innocent, asserting that Tsepak was not the masked protester shown in media footage, while Nurbo was attending to sick constituents during the unrest.
Rahul Gandhi tweeted, “Ladakh’s amazing people, culture, and traditions are under attack by the BJP and RSS. Ladakhis asked for a voice. The BJP responded by killing four young men and jailing Sonam Wangchuk. Stop the killing. Stop the violence. Stop the intimidation. Give Ladakh a voice. Give them the 6th Schedule.”
Wangchuk is currently lodged in Jodhpur jail after being detained under the NSA for allegedly inciting violence in Leh. His wife, Gitanjali Angmo, rejected the charges, stating that he had been protesting peacefully and that the clashes escalated due to CRPF actions. She also denied claims linking him to Pakistan, asserting that all of his overseas visits were on invitations from reputable institutions.
Meanwhile, the Breakthrough Science Society (BSS) condemned Wangchuk’s detention, demanding his immediate release and calling on the Union Government to engage in dialogue to address Ladakh’s environmental concerns. The BSS highlighted Wangchuk’s history of non-violent activism, including a 21-day climate fast in March 2024 and a march from Leh to Delhi to raise awareness about climate vulnerability in the high Himalayas.








