Man Arrested for Aiding Pahalgam Terrorists; Met Them Four Times, Provided Phone Charger

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

Srinagar: Mohammad Yousuf Katari, an Over Ground Worker (OGW) arrested by Jammu and Kashmir Police, met the terrorists involved in the April 22 Pahalgam attack on four occasions and handed them an Android phone charger—key evidence that ultimately led to his capture, officials said on Sunday.

Katari, 26, was detained in the last week of September for allegedly providing critical logistical support to Sulieman alias Asif, Jibran, and Hamza Afghani, the three terrorists who killed 26 people, mostly tourists, in Pahalgam.

According to police, Katari admitted during interrogation that he had met the three in the Zabarwan hills outside Srinagar on four separate occasions. His arrest followed weeks of meticulous investigation.

The breakthrough came after forensic analysis of items recovered during Operation Mahadev, a counter-terror operation launched in July. The operation, conducted in the foothills of the Zabarwan Range near Srinagar, had killed the three terrorists responsible for the Pahalgam massacre.

Police focused on Katari after examining a partially destroyed Android phone charger recovered during the operation. Tracking the charger to its original owner, who confirmed selling it to a dealer, ultimately led investigators to Katari.

Officials said Katari, who reportedly taught nomadic students in remote areas, had served as a crucial resource for the terror group. His support reportedly included supplying the charger and guiding the attackers through challenging terrain.

The three terrorists—Sulieman (mastermind of the Pahalgam attack), Jibran (linked to the October 2024 Sonamarg Tunnel attack), and Hamza Afghani—were killed on July 29 during Operation Mahadev.

While officials withheld further details due to the ongoing investigation, they described Katari’s arrest as a significant step toward dismantling terror support networks in the Kashmir Valley.

Authorities indicated that the case may eventually be handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), which is already probing the broader conspiracy behind the Pahalgam attack. So far, the NIA has arrested two individuals in connection with the April 22 attack for allegedly providing logistical support and shelter to terrorists.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More