Nowgam blast was accidental, no sabotage involved: DGP Nalin Prabhat

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir DGP Nalin Prabhat on Saturday said the massive blast at Nowgam police station, which killed nine people and injured 32, was an accidental explosion, firmly ruling out any sabotage.

Prabhat said the explosives recovered during the probe into a “white-collar terror module” were transported from Faridabad, Haryana, to the Nowgam police station and stored safely in an open, secured area of the premises.

“As per procedure, the samples had to be sent for forensic and chemical analysis. Given the large quantity of the seized material, the FSL team had been carrying out the process for the past two days,” he told reporters.

He said the recovery was highly unstable and sensitive, prompting the forensic team to handle the sampling with extreme caution.
“Unfortunately, around 11.20 pm last night, an accidental explosion occurred. Any other speculation about the cause is unnecessary,” the DGP said.

Nine people died in the incident, including one State Investigation Agency (SIA) personnel, three members of the FSL team, two crime photographers, two revenue officials in the magistrate’s team, and a tailor assisting the team.

Twenty-seven police personnel, two revenue officials and three civilians from nearby areas sustained injuries and were shifted to the hospital for treatment.

Prabhat said the police station building suffered extensive damage, and adjoining structures were also affected. The full extent of the damage is being assessed, and an inquiry into the circumstances of “this unfortunate incident” is underway.

He said the police stand in solidarity with the families of those who lost their lives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More