NEW YORK/WASHINGTON: U.S. President Donald Trump has ruled out the possibility of trade talks with India until ongoing tariff disputes are resolved.
“No, not until we get it resolved,” Trump said on Thursday in the Oval Office when asked whether he anticipated expanded trade negotiations with India, following his announcement of a 50 percent tariff on Indian goods.
Last week, Trump imposed a 25 percent reciprocal tariff on India, which took effect on August 7. Additionally, he signed an executive order introducing a further 25 percent tariff in response to India’s continued purchase of Russian oil. This brings the total tariff burden to 50 percent—among the highest the U.S. has levied on any country.
The newly announced 25 percent duty is set to take effect on August 27, following a 21-day notice period.
India’s Ministry of External Affairs has strongly objected to the measures, calling them “unjustified and unreasonable.”
“As with any major economy, India will take all necessary steps to safeguard its national interests and economic security,” the ministry stated.
Commenting on the escalating tensions, prominent Indian-American attorney Ravi Batra said that “much more is at stake” amid the growing tariff rift.
He also lamented Russian President Vladimir Putin’s refusal to agree to a ceasefire in Ukraine, which Trump reportedly sought.
“Hurting India is hurting Russia,” Batra wrote on X (formerly Twitter). “But it hurts us even more.”
He emphasized the need for a sincere ceasefire in Ukraine, free from deception, and urged collaboration among world leaders—including President Xi Jinping of China and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi—to realign as U.S. allies alongside Putin.
“It’s time for a mature reset,” Batra warned, “or we risk a domino effect that harms everyone, unravels multilateralism, and leads to unbridled chaos—beyond the control of even Wall Street or the Federal Reserve.”








