Unease grows in Bangladesh as former PM Sheikh Hasina faces trial

Picture of News Bulletin

News Bulletin

FOLLOW US:

SHARE:

Dhaka: The Bangladesh capital woke up to a heightened security clampdown on Thursday following a lockdown call issued by the now-disbanded Awami League of deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina. The call coincided with the International Crimes Tribunal’s (ICT-BD) scheduled announcement of a date for delivering its verdict against her.

“The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT-BD) is set to proceed with its scheduled task,” a member of the prosecution team briefly stated.

Army personnel, Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) troops, and riot police were deployed across the city, particularly around the ICT-BD complex, creating a heavy security cordon that kept thousands indoors.

Witnesses and media reports said Dhaka’s usually crowded streets looked noticeably sparse, though many people cautiously made their way to offices and schools. Several private institutions, including universities, shifted to online operations amid fears of potential unrest.

“We’re hearing all kinds of rumours, but people are still out on the streets. There’s no real sense of fear,” an office-goer told a private television channel.

A city bus driver reported a lower-than-usual passenger turnout, though he felt the streets were otherwise operating close to normal.

Media outlets reported that unidentified individuals torched five empty buses in Dhaka, suburban Munshiganj, central Tangail, and Hasina’s hometown of Gopalganj. There were no reports of casualties.

Long-distance bus services from Dhaka saw a sharp drop in passengers, and the major Gabtoli terminal remained largely deserted, with fewer trips and delayed departures, reflecting the impact of the Awami League’s “lockdown” call.

The ICT-BD is preparing to fix a date for delivering its verdict in a case of crimes against humanity filed against Hasina, her then home minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal, and former police chief Abdullah Al Mamun. The charges stem from their alleged attempts to suppress last year’s student-led July Uprising, which ultimately led to the fall of the Awami League government on August 5, 2024.

Chief prosecutor Tajul Islam and his team have sought the death penalty for Hasina, submitting a five-count complaint to the tribunal on June 1.

Count 1 accuses the defendants of murder, attempted murder, torture, and other inhumane acts. The second count alleges Hasina ordered the “extermination” of protesters. The third accuses her of making inflammatory statements and directing the use of deadly weapons against student demonstrators.

The remaining counts pertain to the shooting and killing of six unarmed protesters, including students, in Dhaka and surrounding areas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read More