Chamoli: At least seven people are missing after a cloudburst struck the Nandanagar Ghat area of Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district on Wednesday night, causing extensive destruction and burying several houses under debris, officials said.
According to the district administration, the incident occurred in the Kuntri Lagafali ward of Nandanagar, where six residential structures were completely buried following heavy rainfall and the cloudburst.
Chamoli District Magistrate Sandeep Tiwari told reporters here, “A cloudburst caused damage in the Nandanagar Ghat area of Chamoli district on Wednesday night. Six houses were buried under debris in the Kuntri Langafali ward of Nandanagar.”
So far, two people have been rescued, while seven others remain unaccounted for. Teams from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), local police, and district officials have been deployed for search and rescue operations. Relief efforts, including debris clearance, are underway to trace the missing persons, the District Magistrate confirmed.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami expressed condolences to victims of recent natural calamities across the state. Speaking at a handicraft exhibition in Dehradun on Wednesday, he noted that Uttarakhand has faced multiple disasters this year and assured continued government support for rehabilitation in affected areas.
On Tuesday, torrential rains lashed Dehradun, causing the Sahastradhara river to overflow and flood the main market area. The gushing waters carried debris into shops and hotels along Sahastradhara Road, inflicting heavy damage on commercial establishments.








